Thursday, March 19, 2009

Precious Life


Yesterday, many of us heard on the news about the death of Natasha Richardson. As you know she slipped as she was on a bunny ski slope, while enjoying vacation time with her children. The reports are, she was not skiing at the time, nor doing anything else reckless but just happened to slip and fall. When she was picked up from her fall, she was talking and said she felt fine. So fine, that she turned down an ambulance and medical assistance. We don't know had she accepted that assistance, if the outcome would be different. What's done is done. Whatever the results, we as Christians know that it was God's will. God calls each of us when it is our time. There is nothing that we can do to avoid the fact that we will be called as our Lord ordains. We can only prepare to be ready to meet him, when he calls. We can only hope that Natasha was prepared. We can pray for her family.

Christian or non-Christian, most of us like to think of the inevitable regarding ourselves or our loved ones. Although we know with out a doubt that if we are a true believer in Jesus Christ....we have much joy and peace to look forward for all eternity in Heaven. (John 11:25-26 Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?". John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.) Even the strongest of believers can not even imagine the fullness of beauty and love that is ahead of us with our Father in Heaven. Life can sometimes be so wretched. This world is filled with so much evil and heartache. On earth we are fearful of the future and of our neighbors. We often don't know who to trust, as we do not know truly the hearts of those in this world. Often we have a good idea, which can be attributed to the good fruit that comes out of a person. But there are occasions where we are blind. We cling to this life for our precious loved ones, or for everything we love. In spite of all that is bad, we see the good things and still have hope. On a whole, we don't want to leave the people or things we love behind. (Romans 8:18 For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time [are] not worthy [to be compared] with the glory which shall be revealed in us.)

The death of Natasha Richardson was tragic and freak in nature. It sent chills up my spine to hear of the events that led up to her death. As many of you can attest, we have accidents all the time. Many of our previous accidents could have resulted in our own untimely deaths...given the right circumstances and if and only if God determined to bring us home. For myself, I fall and hit my head once are twice a year. I try to be more careful, but sometimes we are careless or through circumstances we can't avoid an accident. Last winter, I was walking out to my mail box to check my mail. Walking down the driveway through snow and icy patches, I slipped on an icy patch. Both of my feet went straight out in front of me and I landed flat on my back. I also hit my head very hard. So hard, that I had a knot and a headache most of the day. For a couple of hours after it happened, I was very frightened by the incident. This year, I bought a pair of ice and snow grips to put on the bottom of my shoes when I go out. By the way, they work wonders for traction while walking across icy patches. Back to Natasha, when I heard of her death, I immediately thought back to that instance. I thanked the Lord at the time that I hit my head. But, I thanked him once again for protecting me and giving me more time. I can only hope to be worthy of any time that I have. I often do not feel worthy and I know that I don't make the best use of the time God has given me. I can only pray for him to help me each day. At this point, I am not capable of anything more than day to day, as I am weak. God does not expect me to be strong on my own. It is only through his help and guidance. Jesus also tells us in the Bible to live each day and not think about tommorrow. (Living day by day and worry: Matthew 6:25-27 Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is life not more important than food and the body more important than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life. Matthew 6:24 So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. Help from the Lord: Matthew 11:28-30 Come to me all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your soul. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light)

There is much more that I would like to add, but I am going to save it for tommorrow. Much more that I want to say from personal and experience about the suddeness of death and dying. Until tommorrow.....

Love in Christ Jesus,

Paula